There is currently a team of 80 plus Canadians serving at
Mission of Hope for two weeks. With a group this large they have a variety of
gifts and are working hard to serve in every capacity. Because the medical
clinic is closed on the weekends, the medical people joined in the construction
work yesterday at Leveque (where we are building the 500 plus homes). They were
told to keep an eye out for a little girl that someone on the team had seen the
day before to see if they might be able to help her. We found her. This little
precious child had a burn wound on her calf and it looked so painful. Her dad was on site so I got one of our
translators and we asked the father if we could take the girl into one of the
homes to give her leg some medical attention. Her dad said yes, so one nurse
carried the little girl and two other nurses and myself walked to an empty home
where we had put our first aid kit. This burn, we were told, happened eight
days earlier from a motorcycle. As the nurses cleaned up her wound the little
girl screamed. It was absolutely the sadness thing. There was so much infection
and dirt that when it was actually clean the wound was much larger than it
originally appeared to be. In the states, she would have had medication to numb
the leg before they worked on it. It was so hard to see her little face covered
in tears and her eyes just looking at me with such pain. These ladies were
incredible though and worked fast so she only had to suffer for a few minutes.
The wound is now clean and is wrapped up so it will hopefully heal without much
dirt infecting it again. They will change the bandage Monday and will continue
to keep an eye on it.
This was my first interaction with medical care here in
Haiti. In the last several years, I have wished I had medical training so I
could help people like this little girl with care they would never receive
otherwise. After witnessing that, I honestly don’t know if I could do it. I
know the care is exactly what she needed, but all I wanted to do the whole time
was grab her up and hold her tightly to reassure her that everything would be
okay. Not sure you can do that during the middle of care or an operation. I
will forever remember this little precious ones face and am so thankful I will
see her throughout this year. I have promised myself to give her lots of love
and hugs every time I see her.
first of all, i love the updates! God is already working so much there, I can't wait to see what He will do throughout this year!
ReplyDeletesecond, it is super hard to comment on your blog! but i got it figured out lol.
third, did you get my email? i wasn't sure which one you were using down there.
fourth.... yes this is a four point comment.... i love you!
that's all for now!
Lindsay
We are very proud of you Courtney. We miss your beautiful smile each Sunday but are so glad for those in Haiti that now get see in you what we have always seen. God's abundant Love!
ReplyDelete